Sunday, February 14, 2010

A Little History

For those of you who may not know what's been going on with me since February 2008, I thought I'd give you a little "history".

At the end of February 2008, I was diagnosed with a tiny localized breast cancer. After a lumpectomy, 7 weeks of radiation and a really bad internal staph infection my blood counts started dropping -- bad thing!! For the next 10 months the counts would drop, come up a little, drop again, etc. In April my local oncologist said we had to do a bone marrow biopsy to see what was going on.

I had the biopsy on April 27,'09, and saw my doctor on May 7th. She gave us the news that I had multiple myeloma, a cancer of the plasma cells of the bone marrow. I was somewhat familiar with the disease, as our pastor had been fighting it for a number of years.

The end of May I started taking Revlimid and dexamethasone which worked well for several months. In December I had to change to Velcade and dexamethasone because the Revlimid had quit working. I ended up having 6 days of treatment with Velcade starting 12/14 and ending 1/14. After 4 treatments I began to experience some neuropathy pain in my legs and feet.

During this time I learned that my insurance has a contract with the Myeloma Institute for Research and Therapy. On January 4th, I asked my local oncologist to refer me to MIRT.

Hubby George and I went to Little Rock on January 24th. I had 3 days (Jan. 25, 26, 27) of testing -- MRI, CT scan,PET scan, bone marrow biopsy, skeletal x-rays, lot of blood tests, EKG, Echo, lung capacity tests.

On the 28th we met with a doctor who is a specialist in myeloma. Since I had, had problems with two different drug treatments, she said it would be best to go ahead with high dose chemo, stem cell harvest, more high dose chemo and then the actual stem cell transplant. (Auto Stem Cell Transplant - your own stem cells are harvested from your blood, high dose chemo is given to kill as much myeloma as possible, then your stem cells are re-infused into your bloodstream). After 10 to 16 days, the re-infused stem cells will start making new blood cells. Hopefully, this process will put me in remission.

On Wednesday, Feb. 17, George and I will head for Little Rock where we have rented a furnished apartment for a month. I have labs on Thursday and meet with the doctor on Friday to learn when treatment will start.

10 comments:

  1. Dotty, This is a wonderful idea and a great support. My prayers and thoughts will be with you. GO GIRL...!!!! shanti

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah! I'm following your blog now.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Okay, my ID on this account seems to be Lois, Lois, Mum and so on. Robyn calls me that frequently (Family Guy). Yeah, we're dorks.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Dotty, Your new blog is a great idea, You are such a trooper! KEEP IT UP! I'm rooting for you all the way!--Sandy

    ReplyDelete
  5. We're praying for you Dotty! Hope all goes smoothly and you feel better soon.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  7. You've inspired me this past year with your faith and strength, as you've faced these challenges. I'm so happy that this sounds like you're moving forward with something that is extremely promising. Like always... You're in my thoughts and prayers. Melinda

    ReplyDelete
  8. Dotty,
    This blog is great, now we can keep up with you, and you can hear from us! Sounds like everything is going right as scheduled.....you are in my thoughts and prayers daily.....

    ReplyDelete
  9. Safe travels this week! You know that you are close in my heart and that many caring thoughts and prayers are with you throughout this journey of treatment, Dotty. Stay strong! Let them know "Don't Mess With Texas"! So glad you have this blog to keep us all current.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Dotty, A pormise for you- Is41:10- Do not fear, for I am with you;Do not anxiously look about you, for I am your God. I will strengthen you, surely, I will help you,Surely I will uphold you with My righteous right hand.
    Laverne

    ReplyDelete