Tuesday, February 16, 2010

What To Take!!

I've been trying to decide what to take to Little Rock. George keeps telling me the Jeep will only hold "so much"! I did a lot of deciding/packing yesterday and will finish today.

Several people have asked me if I'm nervous or worried about the upcoming treatment, prognosis, etc. I have my moments, but overall am pretty calm about it all. God has seen me through many things over my 64 years, and I am confident He'll be with me through this as well.

People are amazing! You expect your family, friends and church family to be supportive at times like this. But, it's the caring of relative strangers that amazes you. Last summer a customer in California called to order something off my website. During the conversation I learned that she is a cancer survivor, so told her about my situation. Over the months, we have become long distance friends and prayer partners. Recently she sent me a box of lovely little head covers/caps, as I will be losing my hair.

A more recent acquaintance in Arizona, who I met through an online myeloma support group, sent me a beautiful scarf that she wore to cover the catheter in her neck during the days when she was having stem cells collected. She told me the scarf must be lucky, as she collected sooo many stem cells. She wanted me to have the scarf for luck during my collection days.

A long-time jewelry friend in the UK sent me a CD several months ago -- "The Spooky Men's Chorale". It is sooo funny. Other internet jewelry buddies I've "known" for years have been faithful in emailing to check on me and give encouragement.

Local friends have been such a support over the last 2 years with cards, calls, pies, brownies, meals from fresh garden produce, etc. If food cured cancer, I would have been cured months ago! Others have offered assistance in different ways.

I'm a compulsive reader -- will read cereal boxes if nothing else is available. A sweet neighbor has kept me in books over the last year. Yesterday she came in with more books, a basket of goodies I'll need in Little Rock and a couple of lovely lap covers she'd made.

I don't mind if you share the link to my blog with individuals who may be interested. Please feel free to email me anytime, as I'll have my laptop with me.

Back to packing!
Dotty

2 comments:

  1. Tell George "there's always room for one more thing". You know on those trips when you get up the road a bit, you will remember you forgot something...ha..Take care and have a safe trip...will be thinking of you...

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's the "What shoes to pack" that is the hardest for me. Men never seem to understand! I know in my heart you will do well in Arkansas. Will be praying for you! Sandy

    ReplyDelete