Thursday, March 18, 2010

3rd Day of Harvest

As we had anticipated my cell collection went down to 1.2 million today, for a 3 day total of 5.4 million cells. This would be enough for 1 transplant, but would give me no cells for another transplant in the future. I have one more collection tomorrow.

I had to have another unit of blood today and potassium. I don't think I mentioned that I had to have a unit of platelets and magnesium yesterday. It seems the collection procedure depletes your blood and electrolytes.

I will see my doctor Monday morning to discuss further plans. I may come back in several weeks to try and collect more stem cells. If all goes well Monday, we hope to return to Longview Tuesday.

Must tell you something funny. Earlier this week we met a couple from eastern
Tennessee -- Darlene and Harvey. He is being treated for myeloma, too.
Yesterday at the center where they collect the stem cells I was put in a
hospital bed in Rm 1. Later that day I had an email from Darlene. The
subject of the email was "Harvey is in your bed!". Of course, after I
left the center, the bed I was in became Harvey's.

Another funny: Okay, this is ARKANSAS -- big LSU rival. Yesterday our
nurse, who is a big Arkansas fan, found out George and I both graduated from LSU. She stepped into the open area and yelled, "Any nurse here willing to treat an LSU alumni"? You should have heard the laughs.

5 comments:

  1. Hi Dotty & George, So I can start the rumor at OHBC that "Harvey is in Dotty's Bed". Wouldn't that start a wild fire! Sounds like you find a few little things to smile at. The LSU story is cute also. I'm praying that tomorrow will be a better harvest day. I know you are looking forward to your own bed and being home. Spring has come while you were gone- redbud, bradford pear, & Carolina Jasman are all blooming. Dogwood will welcome you home, maybe. Keep up the good Spirit & we'll see you soon. :) & :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dotty, Love your chuckles! Keep it up with your positive spirit. So glad you'll be able to go home soon. Sounds like spring has arrived in full bloom where you live. Enjoy!
    Take care--Sandy

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am thinking positive thoughts for you, Dotty, and keep you in my prayers & thoughts. We are having a few beautiful days here and it is welcome after this winter. The snow has all melted and now we can see more branches and debris on the ground (but I am avoiding looking at them!). I hope you are having some good weather in Arkansas!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Cynthia Fore MillerMarch 23, 2010 at 4:55 PM

    Dotty, I just found your blog. You are a courageous and humorous lady with great resilience. I just love that LSU story and also about a man other than George being in your bed. Hmmmphhhh! I like George for you just fine. I will start checking your blog now. I'm sorry you will be Little Rock so much but thank God for the health-care you are receiving. Love you, Cynthia in New Orleans.

    ReplyDelete